Search This Blog

Monday, May 20, 2019

Why We Sing Folk-Songs

This is from a journal entry from the late autumn of 2009, so our youngest godson was almost 3, his older brother was around 6, and our youngest two children were 13 and 11 (our son).  I am not naming names for their privacy.

The boys came to stay this past weekend, and the young boy came again today for a few hours while his mother had a doctor appointment and his brother was in school.

While here, our fourth girl and our sixth girl read to the youngest little guy.  Our son played with him (blocks and cars). Daughter #6 also played with him, fetched him snacks and almost anything else he asked for, changed his diaper, and helped him with lunch. She basically acted as his personal Jeeves because she thinks he's adorable.  The farmer came to harvest the corn in the field next to us,  and he got to go outside and ride in the Combine with our son (who he sees as a very, very awesome person).  He was a wee bit concerned that the combine would eat him, but he bravely agreed to climb in with That Boy, and that ride probably lasted at least half an hour. 

Then he came inside again, tired, a little bit dusty, and ready to relax.  He sat in my lap for a bit while we listened to music on my laptop using my headphones- he liked that. We listened to the Seegers, and Peggy Seeger singing Too-da-la was such a favorite he asked for it to be repeated about ten times. He wanted me to sing along, too, so I did. Another favorite was The Squirrel:
The squirrel is a pretty thing
he carries a pretty tail.
He steals all the farmer's corn
And husks it on the rail.

The hawk is a scheming bird.
He schemes all over the sky.
He schemes into my chicken house
and makes my roost-hens fly.

Then his mother came to get him.  Our youngest daughter (#6 again), put on his shoes, helped him his coat, and kissed him good-bye.  His mama told him to tell everybody thank-you.

"Buh-bye, Auntie," he said to me. "Tattoo for singing songs with me." And he scampered out the door, leaving me behind smirking at the indignant and very much short-changed Daughter #6.

No comments:

Post a Comment