Search This Blog

Thursday, November 28, 2019

Audible

If you are a member at Audible, their 'black Friday' sale is already running.  They have titles on sale for 5, 6, 7, and 8 dollars.  The sale runs through Dec. 3.

Looking through what they have, these are the titles that caught my eye:

Dickens' Tale of Two Cities, narrated by Simon Vance,
Great Gatsby,
Disappearing Spoon,
Being Mortal (my mom and all my daughters recommend this one),
Marie Kondo's book,
a Brandon Sanderson or two,
 Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night,
Gaiman's Norse Mythology,
Wrinkle in Time,
Howell's Moving Castle,
 an Ursula LeGuin,
Gulp by Roach,
Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World (I read this 3 times in the last year or two and I love it),
Slaughterhouse Five,
 Wicked,
All Quiet on the Western Front,
Tom Sawyer,

~*~*~*~*~*~**~Stop the press: The Magician's Nephew~*~*~*~*~*~*~* The Chronicles of Narnia By: C.S. Lewis Narrated by: Kenneth Branagh!!!! We love this.

 continued:
Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient World.  I do not care for her titles for children. I found them dry.  But her History of the Ancient World is much more interesting.
Screwtape Letters,
Man in the High Castle,
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury,
Anne of Green Gables,
The Divine Comedy, Clive James (translator),Narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini,
The Never Ending Story,
Robinson Crusoe (narrated by Simon Vance),
Brown Girl Dreaming
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Young Readers Edition, I don't know how the audible version is but I love the book.  I mean, the sample sounds marvelous, so I assume the rest does.  And everybody should definitely read this book.  Or listen to it.
 Picture of Dorian Gray

Several different Great Courses

This one has been on my wishlist, so I bought it: The Warmth of Other Suns, The Epic Story of America's Great Migration By: Isabel Wilkerson

I also had this on my wishlist and bought it: Ancient Civilizations of North America By: Edwin Barnhart, The Great Courses

Britt-Marie was here- this sounded interesting and fairly close to home for me just based on the description- "From the best-selling author of the "charming debut" (People) A Man Called Ove and My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry, a heartwarming and hilarious story of a reluctant outsider who transforms a tiny village and a woman who finds love and second chances in the unlikeliest of places.
Britt-Marie can't stand mess. She eats dinner at precisely the right time and starts her day at six in the morning because only lunatics wake up later than that. And she is not passive-aggressive. Not in the least. It's just that sometimes people interpret her helpful suggestions as criticisms, which is certainly not her intention.
But at 63, Britt-Marie has had enough. She finally walks out on her loveless 40-year marriage and finds a job in the only place she can: Borg, a small, derelict town devastated by the financial crisis. For the fastidious Britt-Marie, this new world of noisy children, muddy floors, and a roommate who is a rat (literally) is a hard adjustment.
As for the citizens of Borg, with everything that they know crumbling around them, the only thing that they have left to hold on to is something Britt-Marie absolutely loathes: their love of soccer. When the village's youth team becomes desperate for a coach, they set their sights on her. She's the least likely candidate, but their need is obvious, and there is no one else to do it.
Thus begins a beautiful and unlikely partnership. In her new role as reluctant mentor to these lost young boys and girls, Britt-Marie soon finds herself becoming increasingly vital to the community. And, even more surprisingly, she is the object of romantic desire for a friendly and handsome local policeman named Sven. In this world of oddballs and misfits, can Britt-Marie finally find a place where she belongs?
Zany and full of heart, Britt-Marie Was Here is a novel about love and second chances and about the unexpected friendships we make that teach us who we really are and the things we are capable of doing."

It sounds like it could be wickedly funny and interesting.  But it could also go south very easily.  So I took a pass, but I will try to remember to look for it at the library.  

 I really don't want to spend money on modern fiction that hasn't won the right to presume on my time or money.  

My audible purchases tend to be focused on things I think can help me here and now, or things that I won't mind listening to repeatedly, which means I don't even look at mysteries, although that's my favourite escapist reading. 


Hope you find something you can use!

No comments:

Post a Comment