Search This Blog

Sunday, December 8, 2019

My Christmas Tree and TMI

We were supposed to be flying to Malaysia the day after Christmas to begin a two year period of mission work there. As of Nov. 4, when a bomb dropped on my 37 year marriage and shattered it into pieces, we not going to Malaysia. There is no longer a 'we' in that sense. I am still pulling out the shrapnel.

 I am currently living in my American home with my disabled daughter. It's a huge house, four bathrooms, 8 bedrooms plus a small study or office, two stories, a massive great-room upstairs.... It used to be a lot more crowded, but then the godsons moved away and the other six kids moved out, most of them married, and I spent the last year purging stuff I rather liked in preparation for the move to Malaysia (which wasn't my choice of places to go, and which I learned recently was to be the place where I and my daughter would be abandoned while my spouse moved to Taiwan with another woman). So here we are.

 We mainly keep to the master bedroom and bathroom because it's cold and it saves on the electric bill to just keep two rooms cozy enough to endure without wearing enough blankets to make up two beds. She has very small capillaries and doesn't endure cold well at all.  And I prefer some deep safe space at this time in my life.

 Although for decades Christmas was a huge event to me, as you can imagine, this year I am not feeling it. My Christmas things used to take up nearly a dozen of the very largest storage totes. I purged them down to two or three totes before we went to the Philippines. I haven't decorated for Christmas in three Christmases because I did not have access to my things, and now that I do, it's just too much to do, too heavy a weight, too hard. I thought about getting a tree and decorating it, but that was too much to do by myself. It's hard enough to get up and walk thru each day.

And then I saw a picture somebody posted online and then a friend reminded me that I did not choose this and I was ambushed, but God has always known and He is never surprised, my story will be different, but does continue, and that gave birth to an idea, and this is the result:



This is my Christmas tree this year.

5 comments:

  1. I love the "tree" Wendy, and I also admire your ability to make lemonade when life gives you lemons. You are a strong woman. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that tree! Someday, if I ever have bookshelves like this, I'll do this sort of tree.

    Gosh, so sorry to hear about that bomb. I'll be praying for you, and luckily God knows your story so my general "please bless Wendy and help her and who ever else to draw close to you and to each other. Let there be forgiveness where that is needed, and all these relationships filled with love" will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ❤️ Praying for you & your daughter, Wendi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so, so sorry. I can't even imagine what you are going through. Lifting you and your family up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have missed seeing more of your wise comments online, and wandered over here. I am so sorry for this shattering. I will remember you and your daughter in my prayers. God bless. -Rachel G.

    ReplyDelete